Hey guys,
Here is a post from a blogger that I read on occasion. This post is all about establishing rituals at the beginning of the year. He makes a case for being flexible and not trying to have it all figured out for the kids before the first day starts. Given where we are going, and how I see my role this year, I thought I'd pass this along. Take the time to read it and leave some comments here so we can have a discussion about our thoughts.
Education Rethink (John T. Spencer): A Sustainable Start : Rituals: "This is the first day in a series called Sustainable Start, aimed for preservice teachers. I'm at a place in my career when I still remembe..."
I like the idea of "rituals" as opposed to "rules." It's a very refreshing perspective!
ReplyDeleteI really liked it - better than Harry Wong's "procedures". It sounds much more human. I also like the line in the article that says, "In other words, the rituals are natural, informal, flexible and motivated by love." That idea is SO huge. It isn't about being "right" or having it "my way" or making everything rigid and uncompromising. It is about love and that changes everything.
ReplyDeleteIt's a lot like Wong, but I feel like the way he approaches it is better than Wong, because he does it as a critical thinking exercise. But, just like Wong he sees the importance of rules as well. "Differentiate between rules and rituals. *Rituals are about how things are done rather than whether something is "wrong" or "right." Thus, a fail to grasp ritual becomes a learning opportunity rather than a chance to punish a kid."he wrote rules here, but pretty sure he meant rituals. I think this is very important point. We don't want to be "looking" for excuses to get the kids in trouble or they won't feel safe at school. Allowing for rituals to be learning experiences helps that. I think the difference is a rule is about safety. Rule: walk in the classroom Reason: so people don't get hurt. Ritual: we're quiet when the clean up music is on Reason: so, we can clean up fast and move on to the next thing. Having a reason is important too. It helps the kids see why we're asking for certain things.
ReplyDeleteI also like that he is willing to say "this is what I need to be productive" and ask for that...but also that you have to give kids that space too.
ReplyDelete