Saturday, August 13, 2011

Scales...or is that rubrics?!?!

Hey guys,

During our PD on Thursday and Friday, Holly and Macy talked a little about creating a standardized rubric (scale) we could use for most of our daily Learning Goals (you know, to keep them from being objective - or is that subjective?!?!).  At any rate, here is the first draft.  It was based on the Everyday Math self-assessment.  We think that we need to do some word-smithing on the actual descriptors, so please leave your thoughts in the comments.

(I'm putting how it would relate to the iObservation rubric in parentheses)

0 (not using) - Even with help, I cannot do it.
1 (beginning) - I can do it with help from a teacher or peer.
2 (developing) - I can do it successfully on my own.
3 (applying) - I can do it successfully on my own and apply it to new situations that may look different.
4 (innovating) - I can do it successfully on my own, use it in new situations, and teach others how to use it successfully.

We know that needs some work - what kind of thoughts do you have?

5 comments:

  1. Do we want to use "or" on the last one instead of and?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Holly, I don't think so - otherwise it is the same as a 3. Don't forget that everyone isn't supposed to get a 4 on every goal - just like on the teacher rubrics.

    But I wonder if we should have one rubric for Descriptive Knowledge and one rubric for Procedural Knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! Similar to the EM self-assessment rubric. I like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cary, you're right. I didn't look close enough at the difference between 3 and 4. I was just thinking about your comments on the teacher evals about their use of the word and.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, true. I was just trying to have it be clear that it covered number 3 plus more in a clear way b/c I think if we said "All aspects of a 3 plus..." it wouldn't be as clear to kids as it is to adults. But I think we need to have more here than just this.

    I think part of it is having a separate rubric for procedural and declarative knowledge, but I also think we should be more clear in the language. It is still kind of vague. Or at least maybe give examples. What does it really mean that I can "apply it in a new situation"? What does that look like for a 10 y/o in Reading or SS class? Are they supposed to show initiative and create a new situation? Maybe. Are we supposed to have new situations ready (according Marzano if we want innovating we do). So how does this all look in real time?

    ReplyDelete